Here are 7 positive affirmations for healthier living that I use to keep my mind focused on living a healthier lifestyle, to feel more energized and enjoy the food that I eat.
How positive affirmations helped me
During my second maternity leave I struggled with postnatal depression. Being at home with a very active toddler and a baby, I struggled with isolation and feeling overwhelmed. A simple way that I focused on my mindset was to stick post little positive affirmations on sticky notes around my home. So walking into another room gave me a little reminder in the doorway “You’re doing a great job!” etc.
It was a very simple change but it really did make a big difference in my mindset and boosting my energy throughout the day.
Do positive affirmations really work?
There’s a lot of talk about “Positive Affirmations” in the online self help space b. But do they really work? There is actually a lot of scientific theory and neuroscience behind using affirmations.
Basically, positive affirmations are sentences aimed to affect the conscious and subconscious mind.
- Affirmations can motivate
- Affirmations keep the mind focused on the goal
- Affirmations influence the subconscious mind and activate its powers
- Affirmations change the way you think and behave
- Affirmations are positive statements that make you feel positive, energetic and active and put you in a better position to transform your inner and external worlds.
The key is that they need to be believable in order for them to work.
Make positive changes to your life
Think about honest phrases that capture where you are – and what you’re learning to change and what you want to become.
If saying the affirmation: “ I feel strong and healthy in my body” doesn’t feel believable you can flip it to “I am frustrated by my eating habits, but I am learning to treat my body with respect. I am learning to do better. “ which likely feels better.
My 7 favourite positive affirmations for healthier living
Here are my favourite 7 positive affirmations to say around healthier living.
- I am so grateful to be choosing foods that support my best health.
- I enjoy healthy food without guilt. I reject society’s shaming of food for myself and those around me.
- I enjoy foods that are best for my body. When I eat my greens, I feel energized and abundant. (Louise Hay)
- I get plenty of sleep every night. My body appreciates how I take care of it. (Louise Hay)
- I listen for when I am satisfied and full.
- I feel great when I take care of myself.
- I give myself permission to change. (Louise Hay)
Please download and print my free printable of these 7 positive affirmations and put it somewhere where you’ll see it all the time, eg on the fridge, on a common area notice board, above your computer etc. Wherever you’ll see them all the time. Also, feel free to create your own.